- Circles involved: ALL Circles—Western, Eastern, Southern
- Competition Date: Monday, June 6th, 2016
- Registration Deadline: Sunday, June 5th, 2016 @ 11:59pm
- Competition Time: 4:15pm-7:45pm
- Venue: New Westminster Secondary School Library (835 8th Street, New Westminster)
- Head Sponsor Teacher: Mr. Bobby Woo
- Cost: FREE (free snacks will be served)
- Number of teams allowed per school: There is no formal limit on the number of teams that a school can send.
- Theme of competition: VMO Finale
- Difficulty of Math Involved: Up to BC Pre-Calculus 11 Mathematics
- Grade Divisions: Juniors (Gr. 10 and below) and Seniors (Gr. 11-12) will participate in the same activities but separate prizes will be awarded to the top Juniors and Seniors teams.
|Activity #1: Jeopardy!||4:30-5:15pm|
|Activity #2: Math Battleship||5:15-6:20pm|
|Snacks & Break||6:20-6:40pm|
|Activity #3: Enigma||6:40-7:35pm|
Activity #1: Jeopardy!: Teams will be randomly divided into groups of 3 and go against each other in a round of Jeopardy. The round consists of 30 easy to intermediate questions divided into 6 categories involving different areas/types of mathematics. The first team in every group that answers a question correctly receives the points for that question.
Activity #2: Math Battleship: Teams will be randomly paired up and go against each other in rounds of a modified version of the board game Battleship. In this game, teams attempt to correctly solve easy problems as fast as they can. Each problem they solve correctly awards their team one Attack Point. Teams can use Attack Points to try to hit opposing ships on a coordinate grid. Every Attack point allows the team to fire one shot into the enemy's coordinate plane. The Attack Points can also be used for some other upgrades, bonuses, or perks. Teams can choose where to place their own ships on their own coordinate grid. Points are awarded based on how many successful hits one team has made, how many problems they solved in total, and how many rounds the team has won. The winner of the round is the first team to completely destroy the other team's fleet.
Activity #3: Enigma: Teams are given three different codes involving different encryption methods which they must crack. Each of these encryption methods involve some sort of mathematics behind it. The team's score is based on how quickly they crack the codes successfully (i.e. the fastest team to crack a code gets more points than the second fastest team to crack a code, and so on). Hints will be dropped at random times to aid participants in the code breaking.
Mr. Bobby Woo will sign any CAS logs, volunteer logs, among other official reference materials.
Food and Refreshments: snacks will be provided free of charge by the VMO staff.
Prizes and awards:
- Gift cards/gift certificates & candy for the top teams
- Certificates for the top teams