- Registration link
- Circles involved: Eastern & Southern
- Competition Date: Friday, December 11th, 2015
- Registration Deadline: Friday, December 4th, 2015 @ 11:59pm
- Competition Time: 4:15pm-6:45pm
- Venue: Burnaby South Secondary School Multipurpose Room (5455 Rumble St, Burnaby, BC)
- Head Sponsor Teacher: Mr. Maher Marzouk
- Cost: FREE (free snacks will be served)
- Number of teams allowed per school: 3 Juniors + 3 Seniors
- Theme of competition: Christmas Time at the VMO
- Mathematics Involved: Geometry & Logic
- Grade Divisions: Juniors (Gr. 10 and below) and Seniors (Gr. 11-12) will participate in the same games but separate prizes will be awarded to the top Juniors and Seniors teams.
|Briefing (with Santa!)||4:15-4:20pm|
|Game #1: Present Geometry||4:20-5:20pm|
|Break & Snacks||5:20-5:35pm|
|Game #2: The Logic of Christmas||5:35-6:35pm|
Game #1: Present Geometry: This is a game involving the use of geometry hence the title. This game will consist of smaller mini-games exploring the use of geometry. Each team member will “help” Santa Clause wrap presents using the most efficient possible methods. There will be 6 stations each with 2 of the same game. Each station will be managed by 2 staff members, and each station has a different geometry related mini-game. These games should take a maximum of 10 minutes to complete, as every team should have a chance to try each of these games.
Game #2: The Logic of Christmas:
“Every year the Grinch tries to steal Christmas and every year, with your help, he fails. Don’t let this year be the one where he succeeds!”
This is a game consisting of logic puzzles based on the theme of “Christmas”. There will be 3 logic puzzles, based on what the Grinch messed up:
- The Grinch has mixed up all the labels on the presents! However, Santa Claus has a series of clues which tells him who each present belongs to. Sort out this mess with him!
- The Grinch has destroyed Santa Claus’s navigation plans! Make new navigation plans for Santa Claus; he must reach every house, and try to be as efficient as possible.
- Find the Grinch! One of the VMO staff members is the Grinch. Each VMO staff member will reveal one clue about the Grinch; determine who the Grinch is based off the clues. The Grinch, however, will always lie. Note: You may only have one attempt at guessing in this challenge.
How to Earn Bonus Points:
Bonus Points will be given if a team manages to cheer up Santa Claus with a math-related joke!
Mr. Maher Marzouk will sign any CAS logs, volunteer logs, among other official reference materials.
Food and Refreshments: drinks, cookies, brownies, chips, and other snacks will be provided free of charge by the VMO staff.
Prizes and awards:
- 5 amateur math books
- 10 Google Play cards
- 5 weird Rubik's cubes
- 2 trophies (1 Junior, 1 Senior); 6 certificates (3 seniors, 3 juniors)