- Circles involved: ALL Circles—Western, Eastern, Southern
- Competition Date: Friday, February 5th, 2016
- Registration Deadline: EXTENDED! Wednesday, February 3rd, 2016 @ 11:59pm
- Competition Time: 4:30pm-7:30pm
- Venue: Burnaby North Secondary (North Cafe, 751 Hammarskjold Drive, Burnaby)
- Head Sponsor Teacher: Mr. Gahunia
- Cost: FREE (free dinner will be served)
- Number of teams allowed per school: 3 Juniors + 3 Seniors
- Theme of competition: Mathabilitu
- Mathematics Involved: ALL KINDS AND LEVELS OF MATH!
- Grade Divisions: Juniors (Gr. 10 and below) and Seniors (Gr. 11-12)
|Briefing||4:30 - 4:40pm|
|Game #1: Lapse||4:40 - 4:55pm|
|Game #2: Foodie||4:55 - 5:00pm|
|Game #3: Rhinoceros||5:00 - 5:30pm|
|Game #4: Jigsaw||5:30 - 6:00pm|
|Game #5: Super Brain||6:00 - 6:30pm|
|Award Ceremony and Closing Remarks||6:30 - 7:00pm|
Game #1: Lapse: Four teams will form a group. Each team selects one member to represent their team. The group needs to verbally answer the question shown up on the screen. If they are correct, next question will be shown immediately. If they are wrong, the question cannot be passed until they get it right. The winning team that answers the most questions in one minute gets a star.
Game #2: Foodie: Different foods are placed on a table, and a team can choose whatever food they want. Each food is connected to one question that is in multiple choice format. The team gets a star if they answer correctly. Better food, harder questions.
Game #3: Rhinoceros: Four teams form a group. Each team selects one member (other than the member in stage 1) to represent their team. Two people act the word shown up on the screen and the other two people guess. The group is allowed to speak, describe the word, and decide on their own who can act and who can guess. The group that guesses the most words in two minutes gets a star for their team.
Game #4: Jigsaw: Each team picks a jigsaw. There is one question corresponding to each piece. When the answers of all pieces are arranged from the smallest number to the largest number, the puzzle will be automatically solved. The team that takes the least time to solve the puzzle gets a star.
Game #5: Super Brain: A tricky question is shown up on the screen. All the teams have fifteen minutes to solve the question and write the answer on their boards. The team gets a star if they get it right.
Mr. Gahunia will sign any CAS logs and volunteer logs, among other official reference materials.
Food and Refreshments: Dinner and snacks will be provided free of charge by the VMO staff.
Prizes and awards:
- 2 trophies (1 Junior, 1 Senior); 6 certificates (3 seniors, 3 juniors)
- Other individual prizes (USBs, gift cards, etc.) for the top three Junior and Senior teams.